Jan 2019 – Present
- Private online tuition with clients in China
April 2016 – Jan 2019 Education First (EF), Shenzhen, China Teacher
- Named nationally as one of the company’s 10 ‘star teachers’, was the subject of marketing articles & won many local/regional awards
- Continued own CPD + launched own activity that drew 80+ people to the centre every week
July 2015 – Oct 2015 International College of English, Auckland, NZ
- Taught English to adult migrants from China for 3 months
March 2015 – May 2015 UNICEF NZ, Auckland, NZ
- Worked as a door-to-door fundraiser for UNICEF
- Became adept at pitching ideas to the general public & learned a lot about Auckland
July 2012 – July 2014 Education First (EF), Shenzhen, China
- Taught English to adults in Shenzhen, China
- Attended training numerous in-house training sessions & continued my professional development
- Voted as the person whom other teachers + sales staff most like to work with
Nov 2009 – Jan 2011 Apex College, Manchester
- Taught English to adults from a variety of countries at this college for over a year.
- Gained experience in teaching exam-based courses (FCE).
- Continued my professional development.
- Taught private 1-2-1 lessons in my spare time.
- Maintained the computer systems.
2009 – Dec 2010 Private Tuition
- Gave a lot of private English lessons (CELTA qualified) to people from the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Pakistan.
- Observed multiple lessons & IELTS preparation classes in local schools to supplement the skills gained from my CELTA qualification.
- Gained valuable teaching experience.
2009 – Dec 2011 Home Fundraising, Manchester
- Worked as a door-to-door fund raiser for Breakthrough Breast Cancer and Oxfam.
- Gained invaluable experience at interacting with the general public.
2007/2008 & 2011/2012 Travel jobs/volunteering
- Worked/Volunteered in Australia (gardening – 2 months), Thailand (teaching English – 4
months), South Africa (teaching English – 1 month) and Mozambique (working in the hospitality industry – 2 weeks).
- Extensive travel has helped me to develop effective negotiating, budgeting and planning skills, cultivated language/communication skills and helped me learn to adapt to unanticipated situations and to do the most with what I've got.
2006 Asral NGO, Ulan Bataar
- Taught English to street children in the capital of Mongolia (Ulan Bataar).
- Worked to create a gardening co-operative and taught locals how to grow vegetables.
- Distributed aid at a settlement in the Gobi Desert.
2004 Brown McConnell Clarke McKee, Belfast
- Worked with this firm of chartered surveyors for a year.
- Created an electronic database of their archives resulting in improved organization and efficiency.
- Worked extensively with specific chartered surveying software & sent out ground rents.
Interests and activities
- I love travelling! At last count, I've visited 40 countries. Travel has helped shape me as a person.
- Citizen journalism, geo-political and sociological issues.
- Kick boxing, jogging & capoeira
- Open Source projects
- Proficient IT skills (including functional knowledge of multiple MS programs, Statistical
Analysis Software, OpenOffice, Chartered Surveyor software and various Linux distributions).
- Comfortable working with technology, communicating with others and planning projects. Interest in emerging technology.
|Last Resume Update||November 27, 2019|
|Address||Carrickfergus, United Kingdom|
I also have a BA (Hons.) degree from Manchester Metropolitan University.